David, Samuel PhD
1650 Cedar Ave., Montreal, H3G 1A4
My laboratory is interested in three areas: (1) CNS autoimmune demyelinating disease Multiple sclerosis (MS). We have recently characterized the role of the phospholipase A2 (PLA2) super-family in a widely used mouse model of MS called experimental autoimmune encephalitis (EAE). We are currently studying the molecular mechanisms underlying iron accumulation in the CNS in relapsing-remitting and chronic forms of EAE and MS, and the role of iron in disease pathogenesis. (2) The contribution of inflammation (macrophage/microglia) in secondary tissue damage after spinal cord injury. We are particularly interested in characterizing the complex responses of these key cells involved in the innate immune response to CNS injury. (3) Iron homeostasis in the CNS. We are studying the molecular control of iron homeostasis in different cell types in the CNS. This is an important area of work as dysregulation of iron evels contributes to various neurodegenerative diseases such as MS and ALS.
Cell biology, molecular and biochemical techniques, in vivo models, cell culture, anatomical and histological techniques, behavioral analysis of locomotor function.
- Klopstein A, Santos-Nogueira E, Francos-Quijorna I, Redensek A, David S, Navarro X, López-Vales R. Beneficial Effects of αB-Crystallin in Spinal Cord Contusion Injury. J Neurosci. 2012 Oct 17;32(42):14478-88. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0923-12.2012.
- Zusso M, Methot L, Lo R, Greenhalgh AD, David S, Stifani S. Regulation of postnatal forebrain amoeboid microglial cell proliferation and development by the transcription factor Runx1. J Neurosci. 2012 Aug 15;32(33):11285-98. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.6182-11.2012.
- David S, López-Vales R, Wee Yong V. Harmful and beneficial effects of inflammation after spinal cord injury: potential therapeutic implications. Handb Clin Neurol. 2012;109:485-502. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-52137-8.00030-9.
- Berard JL, Zarruk JG, Arbour N, Prat A, Yong VW, Jacques FH, Akira S, David S. Lipocalin 2 is a novel immune mediator of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis pathogenesis and is modulated in multiple sclerosis. Glia. 2012 Jul;60(7):1145-59. doi: 10.1002/glia.22342.
- David S, Greenhalgh AD, López-Vales R. Role of phospholipase A(2)s and lipid mediators in secondary damage after spinal cord injury. Cell Tissue Res. 2012 Jul;349(1):249-67.
- Rathore KI, Redensek A, David S. Iron homeostasis in astrocytes and microglia is differentially regulated by TNF-α and TGF-β1. Glia. 2012 May;60(5):738-50. doi: 10.1002/glia.22303.
- Schulz K, Kroner A, David S. Iron efflux from astrocytes plays a role in remyelination. J Neurosci. 2012 Apr 4;32(14):4841-7.
- López-Vales R, Ghasemlou N, Redensek A, Kerr BJ, Barbayianni E, Antonopoulou G, Baskakis C, Rathore KI, Constantinou-Kokotou V, Stephens D, Shimizu T, Dennis EA, Kokotos G, David S. Phospholipase A2 superfamily members play divergent roles after spinal cord injury. FASEB J. 2011 Dec;25(12):4240-52. Epub 2011 Aug 25.
- Bouhy D, Ghasemlou N, Lively S, Redensek A, Rathore KI, Schlichter LC, David S. Inhibition of the Ca²⁺-dependent K⁺ channel, KCNN4/KCa3.1, improves tissue protection and locomotor recovery after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci. 2011 Nov 9;31(45):16298-308.
- Rathore KI, Berard JL, Redensek A, Chierzi S, Lopez-Vales R, Santos M, Akira S, David S. Lipocalin 2 plays an immunomodulatory role and has detrimental effects after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci. 2011 Sep 21;31(38):13412-9.
- Schulz K, Vulpe CD, Harris LZ, David S. Iron efflux from oligodendrocytes is differentially regulated in gray and white matter. J Neurosci. 2011 Sep 14;31(37):13301-11.
- David S, Kroner A. Repertoire of microglial and macrophage responses after spinal cord injury. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2011 Jun 15;12(7):388-99
- Redensek A, Rathore KI, Berard JL, López-Vales R, Swayne LA, Bennett SA, Mohri I, Taniike M, Urade Y, David S. Expression and detrimental role of hematopoietic prostaglandin D synthase in spinal cord contusion injury. Glia. 2011 Apr;59(4):603-14.
- Berard JL, Kerr BJ, Johnson HM, David S. Differential expression of SOCS1 in macrophages in relapsing-remitting and chronic EAE and its role in disease severity. Glia. 2010 Nov 15;58(15):1816-26.
- Ghasemlou N, Lopez-Vales R, Lachance C, Thuraisingam T, Gaestel M, Radzioch D, David S. Mitogen-activated protein kinase-activated protein kinase 2 (MK2) contributes to secondary damage after spinal cord injury. J Neurosci. 2010 Oct 13;30(41):13750-9.
- Girolami EI, Bouhy D, Haber M, Johnson H, David S. Differential expression and potential role of SOCS1 and SOCS3 in Wallerian degeneration in injured peripheral nerve. Exp Neurol. 2010 May;223(1):173-82.
- López-Vales R, Redensek A, Skinner TA, Rathore KI, Ghasemlou N, Wojewodka G, DeSanctis J, Radzioch D, David S. Fenretinide promotes functional recovery and tissue protection after spinal cord contusion injury in mice. J Neurosci. 2010 Mar 3;30(9):3220-
- Fry EJ, Chagnon MJ, López-Vales R, Tremblay ML, David S. Corticospinal tract regeneration after spinal cord injury in receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase sigma deficient mice. Glia. 2010 Mar;58(4):423-33.
- Berard JL, Wolak K, Fournier S, David S. Characterization of relapsing-remitting and chronic forms of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57BL/6 mice. Glia. 2010 Mar;58(4):434-45.
- Ghasemlou N, Bouhy D, Yang J, López-Vales R, Haber M, Thuraisingam T, He G, Radzioch D, Ding A, David S. Beneficial effects of secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor after spinal cord injury. Brain. 2010 Jan;133(Pt 1):126-38.
- Kalyvas A, Baskakis C, Magrioti V, Constantinou-Kokotou V, Stephens D, López-Vales R, Lu JQ, Yong VW, Dennis EA, Kokotos G, David S. Differing roles for members of the phospholipase A2 superfamily in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Brain. 2009 May;132(Pt 5):1221-35.
- Jeong SY, Rathore KI, Schulz K, Ponka P, Arosio P, David S. Dysregulation of iron homeostasis in the CNS contributes to disease progression in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurosci. 2009 Jan 21;29(3):610-9.
- Rathore KI, Kerr BJ, Redensek A, López-Vales R, Jeong SY, Ponka P, David S. Ceruloplasmin protects injured spinal cord from iron-mediated oxidative damage. J Neurosci. 2008 Nov 26;28(48):12736-47.
- López-Vales R, Navarro X, Shimizu T, Baskakis C, Kokotos G, Constantinou-Kokotou V, Stephens D, Dennis EA, David S. Intracellular phospholipase A(2) group IVA and group VIA play important roles in Wallerian degeneration and axon regeneration after peripheral nerve injury. Brain. 2008 Oct;131(Pt 10):2620-31.
- David S, Fry EJ, López-Vales R. Novel roles for Nogo receptor in inflammation and disease. Trends Neurosci. 2008 May;31(5):221-6.
- Kerr BJ, Girolami EI, Ghasemlou N, Jeong SY, David S. The protective effects of 15-deoxy-delta-(12,14)-prostaglandin J2 in spinal cord injury. Glia. 2008 Mar;56(4):436-48.
- Kerr BJ, David S. Pain behaviors after spinal cord contusion injury in two commonly used mouse strains. Exp Neurol. 2007 Aug;206(2):240-7.
- Fry EJ, Ho C, David S. A role for Nogo receptor in macrophage clearance from injured peripheral nerve. Neuron. 2007 Mar 1;53(5):649-62.
- Ghasemlou N, Jeong SY, Lacroix S, David S. T cells contribute to lysophosphatidylcholine-induced macrophage activation and demyelination in the CNS. Glia. 2007 Feb;55(3):294-302.